Thursday 11 October 2012

What next?

Whenever I've written a multi-movement piece before, it's never occurred that my intended trajectory of the piece was not the best choice. For example I have two movements of this set of character pieces now, and they are the first and third movements.

What do I put in the middle?

I guess the trouble I'm having is I can't go back to my familiar ABA or Slow-Fast-Slow type writing like I intended. I have to now write something that isn't too much like the first movement or too much like the third.

I am just posting random reflections here, but maybe if I chose a character and stuck to it rather than just designated the character after the fact, I would successfully write something that isn't too much like what I already have? Or maybe I could just do what I have been doing, I'm obviously not going to write the same thing twice without realizing it.

Or maybe I should stop complaining and just sit down and write.........

1 comment:

  1. Man. I literally feel the exact same way about everything you're saying. And then I think, "well, if I had set out the plan in the beginning and then realized after that I didn't like it, would that have been any better?"

    I donno... if you find out, keep this girl posted

    ReplyDelete