Thursday 25 October 2012

Ready to move on.

The recital was today!

After a stressful week, I'd like to say congratulations to everyone for some great work. There were actually some really amazing moments in the music I heard today, and I think everyone should be really happy with the work they've done.


After rehearsing my piece, there were some changes that I did have to make and I'd like to talk about them.
First, a section of my second movement was in the bottom octave of a piccolo, which turned out to be much more effective an octave up. I explored some extended technique in the cello, and figured that a tremolo on a muted bridge was a really cold sound that I used and was also very effective. The performers also took some time with the ending of the movement, and that is something I'd like to mark into the score. In the third movement, I discovered that some of the fast passages in the piano were very awkward and not worth the effort for the very tiny effect they have, so I let my pianist simplify them.

After this week, I am ready to move on from this piece. I could spend more and more tweaking and changing things, but at this point, I find myself ready to start something new. The next assignment looks to be like an interesting one. I'm thinking I will be doing the "recontextualizing a cliché" assignment. Even though I'm not entirely sure what this means (I'm sure it will be clarified),it sounds like a fun idea. Imagine a hardcore death metal style executed by a wind quintet... unless I'm misunderstanding the prompt...



No comments:

Post a Comment