Wednesday 3 October 2012

Hey guys.

I figured it's time to write something new.

I just wanted to talk about how my piece has been progressing. Today, in a massive burst of productivity I finished the second movement. I made some controversial decisions. Let me talk about two of them.
  • Among my second character piece which I've designated as "delirious," there are a whole bunch of decidedly tonal chords. I have a section where the piano shamelessly repeats a Cmaj and a Emaj chord back and forth for three bars. The reason why I do this is because much of the harmony refers to a polychord that I am in love with. C major on top of E major is a sound that I love. Also, there is a very blatant V-I cadence but both these chords have split thirds. I feel like these are allowed, especially since the semitone relationship between the thirds refer to the semitones in the C/E polychord.
  • Second controversial decision. I close the second movement with the exact material from opening of the first. I feel like this excludes the possibility of a third movement, but I feel like it's such an appropriate way to end the movement. I might experiment with having this piece be the third movement. We'll see.
I just wanted to run this by everyone. I might have a more thoughtful entry later, but for now, it's nice to update everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment