Sunday 25 November 2012

Christmas.

I'm going to take a couple minutes to write about the composition projects I want to do in the near future.

1. Flute Choir piece.

How on Earth have I never done this yet?!! Who knows, but I've already gotten a start on it. It's on hold for now, but in February, the MUN Flute Studio will be playing my piece in the Kiwanis Music Festival. I will be playing the alto flute, so I've already made sure to torture myself by making a super-hard alto flute part.

2. Concert Band piece.

I'm different from most people in that most of the music I've written has been for band. It's something I feel comfortable with. Why, then, has it been so long since I've done it? Don't ask me! Not even I can answer that. What I do know is that I will be writing more for band in the future. I aspire to win the competitions that Dr. Caslor and the Gower Band hold annually. Word on the street (or in the lounge...) is that Dr. Staniland is structuring the seminar course differently next semester, and maybe I could choose this as a project...

3. Saxophone Quartet piece.

... or I could write for saxes. Upon delving further into how next semester is going to pan out for us, I learned that since Electronic Music II is the slot right after Composition, those of us taking both might get all this time to work on composing and using the lab. A project I've cooked up in my head is a piece for saxophone quartet and electronics. This has potential to be a huge undertaking and also one of the most rewarding pieces of work.

4. Cello Choir piece???

A cellist mentioned to me that the low strings studio was thinking about starting a cello choir. He then proceeded to say that I should compose for them and gave me a whole bunch of ideas of images to depict. I would write something reminiscent of the sea. Unfortunate this is my lowest priority. It feels so awful to have to rank ideas, because I love all my ideas like precious offspring but sometimes you have to kill off the runts. It's the biggest tragedy of the life of an aspiring artist.

Oh yeah... I'm already in the middle of a piece. Stand by.

1 comment: